What sells?

I was just reading a magazine and came across this information.

"Everything else being equal, experts say, [art] collectors will spend more
for a portrait of an attractive young woman than for a portrait of a man or
a woman of a certain age.  Horizontal canvases appeal to buyers more than
vertical ones.  Landscapes with water sell better than those without.
Nudity beats modesty.  And bright colors trump paler ones.  New York dealer
David Nash offers another observation:  'Paintings with cows don't sell.'"
(ARTnews, May 2004, "Why 15 Apples Are Better Than 3.")

This quotation brings up a point that has bothered me about photography for
some time.    When we say, "That's a beautiful portrait,"  are we reacting
to the model or the portrait, i.e. lighting, posing, framing, etc,?

Marilyn