Re: Colleges and ethics

Being an educator myself (though not a college
professor and in potential position of authorship) I
can understand your dilemma.  What he did was legally
a no-no.  If you're a professional, you simply don't
do things like this, it's not an option.  But you
mention ethics.  As strictly defined, your professor
did wrong.  However, if I were a student in his class,
I would welcome the gift as one from a professor who
understands the cost of such materials and the budget
of a student.  And unfortunately, there is the
impossibility of mentioning ethics without considering
some philosophical elements.  Given much of the
attitude behind capitalist thought and "free"
enterprise stems directly from Machiavelli, I fail to
see any contradiction in taking pirated software and
turning around and demanding copyright protection on
your own work...I hope this isn't Microsoft software.
Gosh, I'd hate to steal from them.  For goodness
sakes, AG Bell got the patent simply because he lived
closer to the office.  Laws and code of conduct are
only as valid as the level to which they protect.  The
logic of this is one sided and fails to address any
externalities of potential behavior the protection
could allow.

In conclusion, "Screw the man and protect yer own!"
But keep a good eye out.  Damn, I'm becoming a
libertarian...time to join a militia.

=====

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds.
 The pessimist fears it's true"  - J Robert Oppenheimer

http://www.geocities.com/tr_cunningham