Rich's and Jim's Reviews

Cousin Rich wrote:

>John Mason - Staging Lane, Eastside Raceway, 21 March

>2004
>Great mood....  Nice addition to your series.  I
>would consider burning down the highlights just a
>bit, they're somewhat washed out.

Thanks, Rich.  I'm going to print it later this week
and will certainly watch those highlights.

>An observation not directly related to the photo:
The
>ubiquitous American flag.  I wonder how much respect
>it shows when the flag is displayed this way.

I'm not sure.  As you will know, the guy who's flying
the flag from his car undoubtedly considers himself to
be a true patriot, who loves his country and his flag.
   If you asked him, he'd say that flying the flag on
his race car is a sincere act of respect.  And an
expression of a certain kind of politics.

>Will it be properly disposed of when it's shredded
>after a few runs?

Does anyone except Boy Scouts and soldiers understand
the proper handling of the flag anymore?  I've seen it
hauled down at 4th of July celebrations and wadded up
like yesterday's laundry.  Daily I see it flying at
night, unlit, over shopping malls.

Jim wrote:

>John Mason, Staging Lane, Eastside Raceway, 21 March
>2004
>I like this, except for what looks like perhaps the
>photographer's finger in the bottom left corner
>making a blur.  Good use of black and white.  Nice
use
>of a square frame.

Thanks much, Jim.  BTW, that blur is just the Holga
being a Holga.

--John

=====
J. Mason