gradient map for black and white conversion?

While doing some bw conversions (from color digital to bw) in PS7 last
night I accidentally added an adjustment layer of gradient map which
made a very lovely bw image (considering I used the black to white
gradient fill). Then I started playing and realized that I could very
easily adjust the contrast by dragging my black and white points around
the scale.

This method seems very, very easy but I've never read of it as a means
of converting color to bw in any of my many books. Is there a reason
this wouldn't be a good option? Is anyone else using this method?

Curious minds want to know...
Lea

Lea Murphy
Whiny Dog Press www.whinydogpress.com