Re: More information, please.

Title: Re: More information, please.
At 8:48 -0800 3/7/04, Marilyn wrote:
I think it would be easier to critique the gallery's photographs if a little more information was given with the images.

Some do have information, and I appreciate that.   Others don't have any comments, such as what the photographer's object of taking that particular photo was, or if it was just an impulse shot.

It could just be me, but I'd like to see comments from the photographers.

        I, too, find I get more out of viewing a photo when there is at least some information relative to the making of it present. Certainly there are photos which can stand alone but some insight into the circumstances around the making of the shot enhance the experience for me. A nature photographer I admire a lot, Heather Angel, said in her book"Photographing The Natural World"  that she felt cheated whenever she looked at other people's pictures if there was no clue to at least the location and the month the picture was taken. She also feels it important to provide the camera, lens and film used but not the exposure since the chances of anyone being in the same place with the same lighting is pretty remote. I agree with her and if the photographer wishes to add how they felt when making the picture or any other insightful information, so much the better. A photograph standing alone is a fact. But, as William R. Inge, Dean of St. Pauls, London, observed "The aim of education is the knowledge not of fact, but of values."

Jim
Baja Oregon