Re: Back to Basics: Camera Holding

An important topic, no doubt..

I´ve never been "taught" any particular technique. just trial-and-error (a lot of the later, for sure). I´ve used RF Leicas, 35 mm SLR´s, MF SLR´s and TLR´s with waist level finders. and lately digicams with LCD screens, and they´re all different.

One common thing that I´ve found quite important is to always apply a force to the camera that is opposed to the one pressing the shutter button. So I´m careful always to place a finger on the same hand directly opposite the button, and in line with it. Then, when pressing down, the hand acts like a pair of pliers or whatever, giving no net force to the camera.

Look at the small vignette on my web page ( http://ofverbeck.se/foto/engindex.html ) where I hold my Digital Ixus in a rather strange way, pushing the shutter with my thumb (not the best way, but then I was shooting myself... ;-) ). I put the long finger of the same hand directly opposite, as well as steadying the tiny thing with my other hand, and it turned out recently sharp.

Per Öfverbeck
http://foto.ofverbeck.se