Re: Squaring a painting

Yes, I remember those (horribly expensive, of course) Hassy alignment mirrors; I doubt they´re still made.

You can easily make a working kit yourself out of two cheap mirrors. I had a "home brewed" pair for aligning my enlarger before going all-digital, and it was VERY accurate.

Just take the glass out of any framings or whatever, then from the back scraper the protective paint and the metal from the glass in an approximate circular area in the middle of one of them. It is far harder work than you may think, but there´s really no need to be precise in this stage. Mine had a slightly egg-shaped patch with a somewhat "wooly" outline when I called it a day, and it worked well. If I were to do it again, I´d probably have a round hole cut in the glass by a professional, if only to avoid a lot of scraping work. BTW, having the reflective coating on the back of the glass is no problem either; that Hassy outfit was front silvered, but there´s no need of that.

Now, put the "holed" mirror over your lens flange, or whatever is absolutely parallel to the film plane, and the other on the painting, being very careful to press it against it. Look from the back of the camera (the finder would probably do if you are using digital). What you´ll see isn´t just a "bull´s eye", but an infinite tunnel (fuzzy-edged in my case) that curves. Just align until it looks absolutly straight, without curving away in any direction; you´ll find it is VERY sensitive.

There is no need whatsoever to find the exact center of the lens mount, or to have a perfect, sharply outlined circular hole, as long as you can see that tunnel effect clearly. Getting the mirrors absolutely parallel to the planes of the film and the subject IS important, obviously; that´s why I recommend removing any frame or casing from BOTH mirrors.

Go ahead: it´s easy, dirt cheap, and perfectly accurate!

Per Öfverbeck
http://foto.ofverbeck.se