Re: Digital cameras - again

Marilyn <marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> You would think that by now, people who know me would  know I'm a poor
> candidate for information on digital cameras, but I keep getting asked
> questions about them.   I assure those who ask the questions that I have
> contacts in high places (the PhotoForum List) who know all {:->
>
> The person asking is interested in a digital camera, 2 mega pixels is all
> he thinks he needs - his photographs are rarely over 4 X 6 inches.
>
> He has narrowed his choices to the Canon A60, Canon A70 or the Nikon Cool
> Pix 2100, 2 (3?) mega pixels with macro capabilities.

The Nikon 3100  and Canon A70 are 3 megapixels, the other two are 2
megapixels.

I'd say those are in fact the four cameras to consider.  2 megapixels
is really ample for 4x6.  But 3 megapixels gives you some safety
margin for those rare enlargements (I *have* printed 2MP pictures to
8x10, with the right picture, and had superb results, but you can't
count on it when you need it).

I've consulted with two friends on this kind of purchase; one ended up
with the A70, one with the 2100.  So far both are happy.

The Canon models have more manual control, which *I* would find
significant.

> He is concerned about the lens quality of the Nikon, is wondering which is
> the more rugged camera and if the Canon compares in weight to the
> Nikon (which is lighter?).

I'm not aware of any particular lens problems.  The place to look for
detailed reviews with lens tests is www.dpreview.com.  I also wouldn't
say any of these shows any evidence of being tougher than the rest.

> He's also wondering if he may have missed a super low to medium end camera
> that may be as good or better as the three he is considering.

I don't think so; but I don't promise to be omniscient, either.

I personally would buy the Canon A70 of this group, but of course my
needs and wants may have little resemblance to his.  In particular the
manual control issue is big for me, and may not be for him.
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Photos: <dd-b.lighthunters.net>  Snapshots: <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>