RE: PF Exhibits on 01-31-04

Gary Colnar, Regal Theater, Oceanside, CA. An intriguing building, and an impressive display of Photoshopping. I like the result, but I wonder: What does this image say? It seems to me an autobiographical statement, along the lines of: Look. I've done this. Why? Because I CAN! Now, I'm not quibbling. Just not quite sure about the author's intent, or his meaning.

Achal Pashine, Golden Gate, SF. There appears to be incoherence here, a pattern that's busy, and ambiguous. The unnatural hues add to the overall strangeness.

Trevor Cunningham, Wadi Rum, Morning. Here is even more ambiguity, and a confusion that's the result of the sky blending into the rock formation. The problem would be solved if the image were in color.

Leslie Spurlock, Faith and Hope. A strong, evocative image that is disturbed and somewhat neutralized by that bit of cloth with the threads spreading out from it, onto the figure's chin. The distraction is inevitable.

Jim Davis, Success! The success here is the author's, in capturing the action. Don't know why but it reminds me of what Ed Hart, my editor at UPI, used to say. "Photography is show business. If you don't show, you're not in business."

Per Ofverbeck, Water. A pear and a peach? Or is that an apple? Hard to tell at first glance. What was the product? Glassware? Still more ambiguity here.

Johnny Mason, UFO, Gambier, Ohio, March 1967. What are we to make of this? It summons the "documentaries" on The Discovery Channel, in which nothing is ever stated as fact, except slyly sideways, as a question, in: "Could this be an alien spacecraft???" Which offsets one's first impression of a couple aluminum pie plates taped together and tossed up in the air or suspended with some invisible fishline.

Rubin Diehl F., Wild Flower. Powerful primaries, strong contrast. Guaranteed to catch the eye.

Emily L. Ferguson, jack came to visit. This, to me, is a most distinct feminine voice and sensibility and intelligence. I don't understand the image, as I surely don't understand women, and never will. But that doesn't mean I don't like it. Or them. Is that vague orange blur on the left a lens flare, or the guy named jack? I'm jealous. Why him, and not me?

Kostas Papakotas, irony. Pleasant, innocent. I don't see irony, though. Nice shot.

William Downey, C-47 Ghost I remember you. I knew what this was the instant I opened the web page full of thumbnails. Took me back to Sheppard AFB, Texas, a long time ago, for training as a photo-radar interpreter. Spent many hours flying over the Arizona desert trying to make sense of what the radar screen was trying to tell me. I'm not sure the overexposure works that well, maybe it's too severe. But it took me back. WAY back!

Andrew Davidhazy, Figure. I'm partial to nudes, female nudes. This one looks almost metallic, suitable for a hood ornament. A metaphor for a gal who is hard, a heart-breaker. The frame works well, too.

John Palcewski
Forio d' Ischia, Italia

http://www.livejournal.com/users/forioscribe