From: "Rohn Engh" <orders@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <sgshiya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 6:42 PM
Subject: Your PhotoAimLite is here.

Key words in this issue: Registering | Tax Payments | Exposure | World
Rights | Light | Critique Service | Competition | Travel | Specializing |
 Newswords: | SELF-TAUGHT | PULITZER | TIMID TIMES | ARCHITECTURAL | SPACE
| AMERICA 24/7 | ACTION | PRICING | FASHION |

## PhotoAimLite monthly newsletter for January ## 400

PhotoAimLite, the monthly newsletter from PhotoSource
International.   <http://www.photosource.com>  ==>

ISSN 1530-0511

If you no longer wish to receive PhotoAimLite, see the instructions at the
end of this newsletter.

....and now you can
Sell To Both Markets
````````````````````
A reader wrote:
You say in your book, "Sell & Resell..." that one should specialize in
certain areas. That sounds good. What if right now in my stock file I have
all sorts of generalized photography? Should I market those to many types
of markets, or should I just start shooting material for specific markets,
and forget about marketing what I have?
 - - - -

You can sell both your general pics as well as your specialties. Here's
how.
In my book, "Sell & ReSell Your Photos," in Chapters 2 and 3, I show you
how to determine what your marketing strength areas actually are. These are
the areas you should specialize in (you may have two or several major
areas). Thanks to your great interest in those areas, you're no doubt quite
knowledgeable in those fields, or subject areas, and speak the language of
buyers who focus on those areas, whether astronomy, nursing, hang gliding,
etc.
Yes, this is where you should start specializing. Photobuyers focused on
that subject matter will be happy to learn you have a deep selection of
photos in their particular feature area. Other photographers won't have
coverage as deep. The buyers would rather shop with you, with your many
photos of and familiarity with the subject area, rather than have to
contact several different photographers who might each have just a few
pictures.

Want to read more of this article? Go to:
http://www.photoaim.com/cb61.html

The question has two sides. . .
Photographing in a Nursing Home
````````````````````````````````
As our government officials tighten security restrictions under the banner
of making us all more protected in our homeland, we as editorial
photographers should examine the impact on our own photographic output.
Let's take the case of a nursing home.
Granted, none of us who have relatives residing in a nursing home need
unwanted visitors in the form of snooping photographers taking pictures of
our loved ones. But what if a loved one were suffering indignities at the
hands of an unethical and incompetent nurse, doctor, or other nursing home
employee?
Our reaction would be different.
Perhaps you've bumped up against this constraint:
"You need a model release to photograph any patient in a licensed health
care facility in any U.S. state." Such statements are not law -- and they
often come from a nursing home health care professional, "protecting" their
Turf. Yes, we all honor laws that protect private health care information,
such as tests, x-rays, financial background, etc. These laws don't apply to
"right-to-know" documentation of living and working conditions.
We are not commercial photographers; we are editorial photographers who
capture life around us.
THE OTHER SIDE

We can all agree on the "ethics" of taking photos in a nursing home. But we
must also view the other side of the question, "What if photos actually
were not allowed to be taken in nursing homes unless the photographer had
model releases from the persons pictured...?"
I am reminded of an article that appeared last year in the New York Daily
News, "Fatal Errors - Report Finds Nurses' Mistakes Led to Thousands of
Deaths."
To quote from the article:
"Poorly trained or overwhelmed nurses are responsible for thousands of
deaths and injuries each year in the nation's hospitals, according to a
Chicago Tribune investigation."  Since 1995, at least 1,720 hospital
patients have been accidentally killed and 9,548 others injured from
mistakes made by registered nurses across the country, the Tribune's
analysis of 3 million state and federal computer records shows." (By the
way, figures are even higher related to doctors' errors, according to
several stufies.)

Want to read more of this article? Go to:
http://www.photoaim.com/cb60.html

Our Critique Service
````````````````````
"These photographs miss the boat. We have marked your package 'Refused."
"Please cross us off your list; we have eliminated you from ours." Have you
received rejection slips like these lately? Probably not.  Most photo
editors are compassionate people and they don't wish to destroy you with
damaging words.
But because they are nice guys, they are destroying you with their
kindness.
If you're going to make it as an independent photographer who has a
long-range program of marketing pictures digitally or through the mail --
you might as well take any needed medicine now, save yourself a lot of time
and postage, and get a free critique from the folks who know the stock
photo business best -- the photo editors.
If your photo submission has been returned, capitalize on your investment
of time and postage and benefit from our photo marketing critique service.
> mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx< Phone: 1 877 404-7790.
If you've got the guts and thick armor, plus the commitment that you want
to produce excellence in your photo illustrations - you'll value this
critique that zeroes in on the marketing aspects of your stock photos. If
you're normal -- you'll find the critical part of the response a bit hard
to read. But why kid yourself? If you want to be strides ahead of your
competition, why not learn what you're doing wrong -- correct it -- and
shorten your route to success in the world of photo illustrations.  -RE

TRAVEL NOTES
````````````
by Jeffery Hoare
Competition
It seems that if you become even mildly successful as a travel
photographer, other things will start to come your way. Whether you seize
those opportunities is up to you, but I almost invariably do. It means that
I can promote myself and the work I do to a wider audience. Some of this
will end up not making much of a splash, but along the way some good and
potentially rewarding things do result.
For example, after giving a lecture about my work, "Addicted to Light," I
was subsequently asked to be one of the judges on a recent international
photo competition, the Travel Photographer of the Year, which is at
www.tpoty.com . This took place over three days as the response had wildly
exceeded the organizer's expectations (just short of 10,000 entries were
received!). Entries come in from people aged 6 to 88 years old, plus the
diversity and range of countries traveled, too, was astonishing.

Want to read more of this article? Go to:
http://www.photoaim.com/trvnt67.html

CONTRACT CARVING
````````````````
You receive your first contract. What's next?
Be prepared to negotiate.
Publications today want to anticipate all options that might come up in the
digital era we now find ourselves in. So, you're going to find they want to
make their contract as broad as possible. It's up to the photographer to
whittle the contract down to reality. Here are some suggestions for you:
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Contract:   Photographer hereby grants to Publisher one (1) time
publication rights to Photographer's stock photograph(s) and ongoing
rights, as described below.  The rights granted are nonexclusive.
Translation: This means you can sell and resell this photo to other
publishers and it is not an "all rights" sale exclusively to this
publisher. If it were an "all rights" sale, you'd want to charge three or
four times or more, your original asking fee.
Contract:  The rights granted are applicable in all media, including, but
not limited to, all electronic, world-wide web, CD-ROM, optical, digital
and other media whether now known or hereafter invented.
Translation: As we move into the Digital Age, publishers want to be sure
they don't run into any future snags where it is not clear whether
electronic rights are also included in the license fee.
Should you tack on an extra charge in case the publisher wants to (in the
future) use the image for an electronic purpose, such as a one-time use on
their Website, or in a sample CD-ROM? Not necessarily. Unless your name is
a household word in the industry, you should go along with the client's
request for electronic rights, for no extra charge. This might come as a
jolt to long-time stock photographers who see electronic rights as an
additional use. However, as we move further into the digital age,
"electronic rights" are going to be a "given" and undistinguishable from
standard "print" rights. So, the door instead is open for you to charge a
higher basic fee than you have usually been charging. You have the option
of charging an extra fee for electronic rights, but you might, as a
newcomer, price yourself out of the market. The answer to this dilemma is
probably to originally charge 10 to 25% more for your one-time use of
photos when you get in discussion with a photobuyer. If they really are
interested in using your image, they'll find a way to cover the cost of
your higher fee. That way the negotiation will go smoothly when they ask,
"Does this include electronic rights?" You will be able to say "Sure," and
sound like the good guy.
Contract: The right to publish the Photograph(s) one (1) time in any form
throughout the world in the above-named Magazine.

Want to read more of this article? Go to:
http://www.photoaim.com/gen535.html

TWO EXPOSURE GUIDES
```````````````````
When in doubt, bracket. That's the basic fallback for difficult exposure
situations where you can't trust your in-camera meter. There are now
available two laminated pocket guides, however, that attempt to eliminate,
or at least reduce, the doubt. (1) The Pocket Field Guide to Evaluative
Metering, www.birdsasart.com, $19.95.
http://www.photosource.com/pbk/0000000002 Well-known bird photographer
Arthur Morris presents five helpful tips and 60 illustrated situations to
help you decide when and how much to modify your camera's evaluative meter
recommendation. Though the illustrations are mainly bird photos, the tips
can apply to various scenarios. (2) The Black Cat Extended Range Exposure
Guide, www.blackcatphotoproducts.com, $19.95.
http://www.photosource.com/pbk/0000000003 Jim Lehman's guide disregards
meters and relies solely on the well-known sunny-16 rule. It's a three-part
wheel, where you set film speed and either f-stop or shutter speed to
correspond to specific situations. The guide then returns a recommended
exposure setting. Lehman's list of lighting conditions is fairly
comprehensive, and he explains how to expand it. Though different in
approach, both guides can function as quick reference and learning tools to
increase your exposure expertise.  - David Arnold & Gail Rutman

INVOICING YOUR CUSTOMERS. Sending an official invoice capitalizes on the
tendency businesses have to pay other businesses before individuals.
Looking like a pro will keep you from getting left out in the cold.
Accounting departments recognize a professional-looking invoice as a
document requiring attention, whereas personal letters of agreement get
glossed over. Make your photobuyers' lives simple by including an invoice
which they can forward to the accounting department. Create an invoice that
looks like an invoice, and include it when submitting a letter of agreement
to a photobuyer. Print the invoice on your company letterhead and be sure
to include the date, an invoice number, the name and address of the
publication, the commissioning photobuyer's name and title, date of
submission of the photos or article, the agreed-upon fee, a statement
detailing your payment timetable expectations, and instructions on to whom
and where to send payment. Separate your paid invoices from those still
outstanding and keep them in separate files for easier tracking. Make your
billing procedures habitual and efficient.

THE MASTER GUIDE FOR WILDLIFE PHOTOGRAPHERS, by Bill Silliker, Jr.
Beginning with equipment and what to look for in cameras, lenses, auto
focus systems, and more, the author moves on to how to control your
background, and making the most of your lighting. Also included are methods
for getting close to animals, using specialized approach techniques and
blinds. (ISBN: 1-58428-114-6; $29.95; 128 pages) Contact: Amherst Media,
175 Rano St, Ste 200, Buffalo NY 14207. Phone: 1 800 622-3278. Fax: 1 800
622-3298. http://www.photosource.com/pbk/1584281146

STARTING YOUR CAREER AS A FREELANCE PHOTOGRAPHER, by Tad Crawford. The
well-known author and authority on freelancing provides step-by-step advice
covering the multitude of concerns facing aspiring and beginning freelance
photographers-from compiling a portfolio to building a sound business.
Lists of professional organizations, sample contracts, copyright
applications, release forms, the ASMP Code of Ethics, and a helpful
bibliography make this a handy reference. (ISBN: 1-58115-280-9; $ 19.95)
Allworth Press, 10 E 23rd St, Ste 510, New York NY 10010.
 http://www.photosource.com/pbk/1581152809
Let photobuyers know where to find you. Take out an ad in the Blue Pages
section of the PhotoSourceBOOK 2004. Only $99.
<http://www.photosource.com/107>

ESTIMATED TAXES: ANOTHER DEADLINE COMING UP
```````````````````````````````````````````

By Julian Block
On April 15, most taxpayers filed their 1040 forms for 2002, and many made
their first estimated tax payment for 2003.  And before they know it,
another deadline is just around the corner.
Monday, September 15th  and Monday June 16th  (the 15th fell on a Sunday
this year), were the due dates for the second and third quarterly
installments of your estimated income tax (including any self-employment
tax) for 2003, if you were obligated to make payments because your
estimated tax exceeds $1,000.
Who has to make estimated payments? Individuals with income from sources
not subject to withholding, a category that includes stock photographers
and other self-employed individuals who operate businesses or professions
as sole proprietorships, in partnerships with others, or as independent
contractors.
       TIP. Even when withholding is subtracted, it might prove
insufficient, as can happen with salaries and bonuses received by you or
your spouse. The law authorizes the IRS to exact penalties for insufficient
quarterly payments or for failure to pay the installments on time as they
become due. It is immaterial that your final estimates are enough to
eliminate any balance due when you submit 2003's 1040 form in 2004.
DODGING A BULLET. There are "safe harbors" or exceptions that relieve you
of any penalties for above-$1,000 underpayments. You need not fret about
penalties as long as you made payments (remember to include withholding
taken from paychecks) for tax year 2003 by the due dates of April 15, June
16, Sept. 15, and Jan. 15 that exceed a specific benchmark.

Want to read more of this article? Go to:
http://www.photoaim.com/txtct87.html

December 30th Window for Submitting PhotoSourceBOOK Applications Extended

applications for entries in the PhotoSourceBOOK Directory and affiliated
membership in the PhotoSourceBANK, has been extended to January 30th.
Please note that the gateway will not accept applications submitted after
January 30th, 2003.

For more information about submitting your application for the
PhotoSourceBOOK, please see http://www.photosource.com/44

This month's featured photographer on PhotoSourceFolio: Barry Mansell:
(http://www.photosourcefolio.com)

PHOTOGRAPHY IN THE NEWS
```````````````````````
Note: If the URL is long, it may extend to two lines. In that case -
clicking on it won't work. Instead, "copy and paste" the URL.

Wild about photography - "You go to these places and then you come home -
and you long to go back again," said Lisa, 40, a SELF-TAUGHT photographer,
who has earned a living taking photos for 10 years.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/ozwash/jan04/198384.asp

The Photographer Who Makes Writers Look Like Authors - Writers have often
agree to have their photo taken with a degree of awkwardness, distrusting
the connection between literature and personality
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/11/arts/design/11KENN.html

First U.K. ROYAL BABY PHOTOS Released - Prince Andrew became interested in
photography while in the Royal Navy and published a book of mainly
black-and-white pictures two years after buying his first camera in 1983.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040110/ap_on_re_eu/b
ritain_royal_baby_1

AP Photographer Roberto Borea Dies - A PULITZER Prize-winning photographer
who produced thousands of compelling pictures from wars to the Olympics
during a 30-year career with The Associated Press, died Tuesday.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040107/ap_on_en_ot/o
bit_borea_2

For Magazine Designers, These Are TIMID TIMES - At a time when
selling just 40 percent of newsstand copies is considered acceptable,
editors are increasingly relying on safe, formulaic covers instead of
takingchances on conceptual images or memorable photographs that are often
iconic in nature.
http://www.pdnonline.com/photodistrictnews/headlines/article_display.jsp
?vnu_content_id=2065298

Starting ARCHITECTURAL Photography Part 2: Copyright and Permissions
http://photography.about.com/library/weekly/aa100603b.htm

New Book Captures Costa Rica in SPACE Photography - NASA scientists and
Costa Rican students have collaborated to publish a new book that captures
the splendor of Costa Rica's varied landscape as photographed by astronauts
from space.  http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=13357

Shutterbugs gain greater exposure with digital photography - Ventosa heard
about a book project called "AMERICA 24/7," whose editors were seeking
submissions of digital photos. The book's editors chose one of his photos
for publication.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-n/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/01/05/DDGBB42IGF1.DTL

A persistent photographer finally lands his big 'fish' - The photograph, a
spectacular sports ACTION shot, wasn't taken by chance. The picture came
about because of the photographer's planning and persistence.
http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%
2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031773037064&path=!news!columnists&s
=1045855935174

Photography business needs help on PRICING. Marcia Gold uncovered an
interest in photography after raising five children
and having a successful career in social work.
"I realized that light was beautiful," said Gold, who instantly knew she
wanted to do something with the discovery. "At the time, I didn't know how
to put film in the camera."
http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/business/5525.php

Art + Fashion = New FASHION Photography
This exhibition of fashion photographs would send voyeurs into a state of
shock.
http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=73062

Want to read more "Photography in the News"?  Go to:
http://www.photoaim.com/pitn.html

PhotoAimLite is a collection of excerpts from our weekly newsletter,
PhotoStockNotes, available through the web anywhere in the world $5.00 per
month. >http://www.photosource.com/psnintro.html

Feel free to forward this issue of PhotoAimLite to your photographer
friends.