Thoughts about the PF List Exhibits 27-DEC-03

Forum Members,

Here are my thoughts about the PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space now
on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html:

Dan Mitchell - "Winter Scene"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mitchell.html
Mitchell has captured a feeling of peace and tranquility. It is winter, most
assuredly, as there are no leaves on the trees. In the spring there will be
buds, but they are not yet there. But despite the winter being so aptly
demonstrated by the trees, there is green: green grass, green reeds. Green
is the color of tranquility. There is not a lot of green, but enough to set
the mood.

Actually, the mood is set even before the green is noticed. The color (reds
and oranges) of the buildings is in stark contrast to the remainder of the
image. The contrast is stark, but not the feeling, which is soothed by the
warmth created by the colors. The warmth of the color leads to the feeling
that all is well with the world. The world, or at least this very small part
of it, is at peace.

Jim Davis - "Searching for Breakfast"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/davis.html
A most beautiful image! There is so much to like about this photograph. The
"S" of the neck is soothing. The blue cast to the white feathers would be
cold, but the cold is offset by the oranges in the bill and the reflections
of the water, which warms the mood of the total image.

I like this a lot.

Pablo Coronel - "Frozen vines"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/coronel.html
This is an image I want to like, but I just can't quite make it. The
black-and-white is a good choice. The subject is interesting. The
composition of the branches is striking. But the window in the upper left
quadrant which tries to blend into the ice on the branches takes away from
what otherwise would be a most excellent image for me.

D.L. Shipman - "Moon over Englewood 2003"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/shipman.html
A good moon image, but it looks pretty similar to the moon we have over
Wyoming.

Shawna Hanel - "Values"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/hanel.html
I really like this image. The blue of the subject differs from the
background primarily because of the tone of color rather than a contrast.
This is a study in blue. It is a most interesting study in blue. The red
tinge at the bottom center is slightly disconcerting, but it is subtle
enough to not intrude in the feeling that the photograph imparts to me. This
is my favorite of the week.

Bob Talbot - "Prisoner"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/talbot.html
This is one sick image. This could only come from the mind of a depraved
individual, but a creative genius of a depraved individual. I really like
this! The lines, the blobs of hazy black, the mystery. Wonderful! The
Creature from the White Lagoon is waiting; waiting patiently, plotting
revenge on its captor.

Laurenz Bobke - "Sunset at the Summer Palace"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/bobke.html
Serenity on the lake. I like this, but not as much as Bobke's submission
last week. There is something missing here. A long orange glare, denoting a
sun near the horizon to impart such a color, seems almost naked without the
presence of the orb itself.

John Palcewski - "Maria: Sophia Lorens Daughter?"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/palcewski.html
A portrait, and a story that has been told here before.

John Mason - "Messiah Sing-In, Charlottesville, Virginia, 2003"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/jmason.html
A great idea for a photograph, but it just slightly misses the mark for me.
The sheet music in focus is wonderful. The director out of focus is
wonderful. The dark but discernable heads on the left are wonderful, as is
the one of the far right. The other pieces of sheet music and the lit head
on the right are distracting. I like this, but when you see good, you want
even more.

Pini Vollach - "Tallinn"
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/vollach.html
I agree with Vollach's comment: "Just a nice city view."

This week presented a most interesting assortment of photographs. Many
thanks to everyone who took the time to photograph the subjects and then
submit them for our viewing pleasure. Thanks also to Andy and his staff. And
I do hope that this is a simple submission lull.

Pax,

rand