Re: purchase of camera

----- Original Message -----
From: vinod
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2003 10:47 AM
Subject: purchase of camera

Quite frankly, you have two good choices.  At one time, Vivitar was one of
the finest lens makers in the world, only to have been surpassed by modern
technology.

I found that the best telephoto length with 35mm is 135mm.  Be careful when
depressing the shutter release that you don't move or 'duck' or bow the
lens, which shows as an 'out of focus' picture.

At those prices, I'd buy both.  Frankly a good 6X7 or Hassleblad would be a
good investment.

S. Shapiro, Carmel, CA

I am new to the field of photography although 57 years old.I'm retired from
bank.I'm in India.Here the good SLR cameras are available only in gray
market and are very costly as per the prevailing  conditions here.till now I
was using zenit 130 the cheapest camera available here.when I use this
camera people indirectly ridicule the camera and me.so I have decided to go
for a new one.
I have been advised by a photo instructor to go fro vivitar 3800 N .it costs
about rs 7500-8000 here i.e. us $150.  But a photo dealer has shown me Nikon
F 55 and is ready to sell me with lens at about 17000/- i.e.. about US$350/-
I want to know which will be a good choice for a novice like me. I intend to
pursue serious photography in wild life/outdoor etc. should I invest in long
lenses for the vivitar the difference in the cost of 2 cameras or purchase
Nikon.
please help me decide.
thanks and happy season's greetings to all.
vkwadhawan