Gallery Review

Since I´m unusually early (for me, that is..) this week, I´ll add the Forum Gallery link first:

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

That done, here goes:

D L Shipman: A beautiful and interesting image. Like it, but have no answer to the question posed, I´m afraid.

Robert G Earnest, Mazda Rx8: At the size shown at least, a totally professional job (I see on your home page that you are indeed a pro in advertising). Harmony of colours, sense of speed, clarity.

Bob Talbot, Eternity: For me, a new aspect of Bob´s work; not even his home page prepared me for this! Very suggestive, very far from "traditional" photography. Impeccable composition.

Guy Glorieux, Ste Ursule Falls: This one feels all the more familiar; it looks a lot like much contemporary Scandinavian Nature photography. Beautiful and dramatic, the light is well shown in this technically demanding subject.

Rick Kessler, Several Nights before Xmas: Hey, I recognize the 43rd guy from the left... No kidding, this one should be shown at least one meter wide... Nevertheless, a technical and organizatorial feat. I owned an E10, so I know it´s up to the task, if a little slow. Still, the triumph rests with the photographer, not with his gear.

Shawna Hanel, Cars: After being directed to Shawna´s site, I can never again see her images as free-standing entities. This one would be above average, but my real urge is to re-visit her site looking for this image in context.

Emily L Ferguson, Myrrh???....: Hilarious! I suppose it is an unarranged shot; the snow looks like the real thing. But just think of the poor one in the snow-covered manger...

C J R Strevens, Junction nr Clapham Jctn, 2: Reading the other comments on last week´s version, I seem to be the sole curmudgeon who didn´t like it. Stubborn that i am, I don´t like this one either... ;-) I still feel the original had a lot of charm that simply isn´t preserved in these processed versions. Still, I´m glad there are differing opinions; no hard feelings, I sincerely hope.

W R Gill, Dawn at Pt Sur: From Pacific sunsets to dawn, finally. Afraid this one feels a bit unfocussed (conceptually, not optically); there´s no prime point of attention, and the very low contrast doesn´t help either, accurate as it may be.

Basil Saif Farhan, Emirate Towers Hotel: Despite the similarity in colour scale to the previous entry, this one is much more interesting. Strange architecture indeed. The tiny, yellow-white lights do a lot for the picture, and afford the point of attention I missed in the last one.

Andrew Davidhazy, Star Trail fantasy: Andy´s explanation arrived just in time to prevent me from making a fool of myself (well, unless I already have). I was going to comment that the coarse, uneven star trails looked very unreal, and that the whole pattern reminded me more of some kind of bottle bottom held up to the light... :-)

Per