CANON D10 FOCUS PROBLEM

Hi all

I have a D10 with a Sigma 28-70 EX ASP lens and I seem to have a problem
with the focus.  Used fully auto (with a 550ex flash) on 70mm, shooting
close to a small subject, the cameras confirms that it has focused but
viewed later it is very soft.  On manual focus it has the same problem,
seems sharp in the view finder but viewed later it's soft (not as soft but
still soft).  Has anyone experienced the same problems?

Many thanks in advance

Steve.