Re: Something to think about while decompressing after Thanksgiving.

At 07:01 AM 11/26/03 -0800, you wrote:
Imagination is the highest kite one can fly.

- Lauren Bacall

Is one able to "follow all the rules" and still use one's imagination to the
full extent?

Do you "have" to break the rules to use your imagination?

Is using imagination while sticking to all the rules the highest form of
inventiveness?

Are the same thought processes used when being inventive and being
imaginative?  (Did Thomas Alva Edison and Walt Disney think alike?)

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Marilyn

Marilyn,

There is an interesting article in this week's Newsweek about synesthesia and creativity.

I think the character but not the quality of one's imagination is informed by personality and therefore somewhat different than inventiveness and creativeness. I believe being creative, imaginative, or inventive is learnable but requires rigorous practice. It is probably a myth that not knowing any rules somehow enables these faculties. One is always awed by creative people, especially performers, and we forget that they must constantly practice. The expressions "talented" or worse, "gifted" is in a way insulting to them because without struggle they would likely not be seen as talented at all.

Happy turkey day,

AZ

Build a Lookaround! The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed. NOW SHIPPING http://www.panoramacamera.us