RE: Altazimuth telescope mounts correction

I think the other axis for equatorial is the altitude.  A star is known from
its hour angle (round the equator from the first point of Aries) and
altitude (above the equator)

Azimuthal is degrees down from the zenith (overhead) and the angle in
degrees round from north on the horizon.  (no good if you are at the pole).

Its all spherical triangles.

You can convert from azimuthal to equatorial using a spherical triangle
computation (quite complicated but which I did know once but have forgotten)
or with an analogue computer consisting of potentiometers mounted on gimbals
in a complicated sort of way.  They went out when digital computers came in.

The conversion depends on where the telescope is on the earths surface and
assumes that the earth is spherical.

I really like spherical triangles like every navigator should.  All
forgotten now.  Not that I ever did navigation for real, I've only held a
sextant a couple of times.

Chris.
http://www.chrisspages.co.uk