Re: Eclipse photos?

> > Sunny 16 works fine when the full moon is high in the sky but can
lead to
> > *serious* underexposure at other times.  You need to allow for
phase and
> > altitude.
>
> Don't think I understand that. You mean that somehow the moon low in
the
> sky isn't in bright sunlight?
>
> I thought the more basic point was that although the moon is made of
> darkish rock, we expect it to look "overexposed" (for darkish rock,
that
> is).

Brian

When the moon is low in the sky it receives just as much light as when
it is directly above.  The difference though is that the light
reflected from it then has to travel all the way through the
atmosphere making it *appear* dimmer.  Just as the sun does towards
sunset!!!!

The point about it's albedo is indeed true as well.  Left to itself
it's dark and grey: the way astronomers expect to see it.

The point about us expecting it to look like cream cheese: that's
preception.  It's easy to look bright when all else is dim. ;o)
[it's also why I use the Loony 11 rule when the moon is high and add
more when it's low.

Jeff Conrad is well respected.  Read his take on "Sunny 16" in a page
entitled
"Getting the Right Exposure When Photographing the Moon "
http://www.calphoto.com/moon.htm

The moon does not behave like a pure lambertian reflector.  At full
moon it has a comparitively high reflectance - quite different from
that a day before or a day after.  The explanation is debatable: and
way beyond the scope here, but it's enough to know it is.

"Sunny 16" always crops up as the answer - the only answer - the one
that MUST be obeyed..

 It's a neat (very plausible) explanation that tends to lead to slight
to huge underexposures.   Unless the moon is both full and very high
in the sky.

Bob

Bob