Re: Digital and film, was didgital is a musing.....

> "I am having trouble getting data off of a 5.25" floppy.  No one can
> help me.
Don't bother:

> Oh, By the way, last night I printed a SIXTY YEAR old negative....."
> Think about this.

Digital images have far more longevity that film ;o)

Actually, while on digital images (or digital data in general).
Compressed formats.  If one byte gets corrupted chances are the whole
file is lost, irretrievably.
With uncompressed formats you've lost 1/3rd of the colour information
for one pixel.
I wonder if this has been discussed anywhere ... thinking aloud.

PS ... the ultimate in longevity, in progress, is to strive for
shorter image lifespans.  Follow Gate's philosophy: regenerate.
Short-life-image formats mean more work for photographers ;O)

ATEOTD who cares a damn about 100-y-old digital files, sling them out
with the babbage.