Re: [lens] Re: Dimming hot lights

Greg,

The problem of color temperature in B&W is similar to not applying a filter factor when using a #8 or #12 Wratten filter. If you look at the literature that comes with the film you use, particularly if it's Kodak, you should find and indication of a probable change in film speed if exposed under Tungsten lights. The cause is the warm (2500 - 3000 K) light temperature.

With just a little testing you may have enough information to determine appropriate film speed to use with your lights without extra manipulation.

Peace!
Sidney

Gregory Fraser wrote:
I planned on shooting b&w so I thought color temp would be irrelevent but I read on a couple of web sites that it actually is a big deal. I suppose if you need the tones exactly identical from shot to shot it would matter but I wouldn't think it would be that big a deal for an amateur like myself.

Greg