Re: getting glossy prints from the Epson C 80 series inkjet printers

In a message dated 10/27/03 10:59:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, kino@hgea.org
writes:

<< By the way I have some glossy ink jet prints (1st
 generation, Epson Photo printer) that I hung up in my office at work
 for almost five years and they still look good. I am amazed because I
 was told that the prints would last under fluorescent lights for only
 3 to 4 years at the most.

Actually fluorescent lights vary alot. 1) they are non continous light source
so the color most effected may not even be present. 2) the amount of UV in
flourescent lights varies alot. There are certain covers that slip over the
bulbs ot cut down on the UV. Even some plastic covers for the light fixtures cut
down on UV  3) There are flourescent light that mimic sunlight better, some
with a CPI (color rendering index) of  98 but with still a noncontinous light
source so it effect on  a particular color scheme can vary.
Wilhelm test under daylight flourescent lights which seem to be a good choice
because of the widespread use of this bulb. However there are too many
variables in the real world to do acclelerated testing on all of them. He has
expanded his testing from just behind glass to bare prints and prints behind UV
glass. Also now he is also testing some spray coatings.
Halogen lights put out alot of UV so art galleries that use this lighting
source should be able to fade prints even behind glass faster than normal