Got pics?

Dear PF members,

I picture edit a family sociology text that is now going into its seventh edition. I use stock houses and historical archives as well as individual photographers and artists for illustrations. I know some of you do editorial work and others do general topics. I will send you a list of the types of pics I need if you are interested. The general areas are every-day family activities and social issues that influence contemporary family life. The pics are for one-time-use, editorial, (no release required), and the publisher pays the going rate for B/W (color OK for originals). I need to see 72DPI JPEG's attached to email or at a URL. No actual pictures please. I need the work within the next week or ten days.

A note regarding stock photo biz.
I think there are opportunities for photographers in certain niches besides nature and scenic which, being the most popular general photography topics, are bursting with excellent work. My experience is with social science texts but I see the other stuff in the routine of searching. If this interests you, Google "stock photo" and take a look. The search engines are pathetic but you may soon realize that: "Hey, my work is better than a lot of this!."

The stock agencies have lists of general topics and lists of more conceptual themes. If you find some area that interests you, then look for gaps in the available subjects, or re-shoot the pictures better and bring them up-to-date. Regarding my own topics, most of the work I see is unusable for a number of reasons besides just being rotten photos, some of which are:

Vague - tells no story without the text: " Joe (third from left) is a single parent".
Cliched - many social issues are only represented by people waiving banners.
Demeaning to subject - people shown as victims rather than in struggle.
I'd estimate that half of all pics are out-dated. Think of it - in a few years, all those bald-tattooed people!

Please inquire off-list RE questions about the project.

Thanks all, and Andy for letting me post this,

AZ

Build a Lookaround! The Lookaround Book, 2nd ed. NOW SHIPPING http://www.panoramacamera.us