Re: Review of PF Gallery for 9/27/03

Bob,

>It seems almost as if the high speed flashes are TOO fast.  You could
>freeze the body movement with a much slower flash but allow some sense
>of blur in the wings.

Yup ...

>Another guy who does these I seem to remember has another flash on the
>background to stop it being quite so black.

The "master" of insect photography has both black backgrounds and lighter
backgrounds. He does almost nothing else but insect photography. His name is
Stephen Dalton and published "Borne on the Wind", "The miracle of flight" and
"Split second" (the latter more than insects!).

It is my belief that 1/2 an effective photograph is made by understanding
something about the technology on how to achieve a certain photograph and
controlling the process and the other 1/2 is a sense of aesthetics. I try to
achieve about 25% on either category!  :)

cheers,
andy