RE on PF exhibits on 09-27-03

> At 11:46 AM 9/27/2003 -0400, ADavidhazy wrote:
> >The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated 27 Sep. 03. Authors
> >with work now on display at  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html  include:
> >
> >Emily L. Ferguson

At first glance it seems to be a picture of some guy. He has climbed the
mast and seems to be holding something to his face. I suspect just
another photographer looking for a unique angle.
To risk our lives for a unique angle. Is that what sets us apart?
Then, I am reminded of the angler that shot this image. So... what
inspired this image? Certainly not the juxtaposition of the lines
against the clouds and sky. There is very little of interest there. Only
the tattered flag that hides the intersection of blue and white.
A tattered flag. Bravely puffing its battered stars and stripes.
This is a picture of a flag. An American flag. As understood by an
American.

> >Bob Talbot - Hide

Nearly impossible to read. The warmth of the subject in direct sunlight
against the coolness of open shade provides some interest in terms of
the films rendition. The shallow depth of field adds mystery. The fact
that it is Bob proves interesting as he shows a solid shoulder and
muscular curve of arm. A young man in his prime. Still able to bend at
the knee with ease. The yellow shirt a common peccadillo of
homosexuality but not a surprise to long time PF'ers.
The only surprise here actually is that he uses a darkcloth for 35mm. An
eccentricity of the English I suppose.

> >Achal Pashine - Baby Bird

Have you ever taken a picture that you just loved but couldn't really
explain why? Perhaps it reminds you of the day that you took it. You
were in love. Or you won the lottery that day. And although you don't
remember it exactly, the image triggers warm feelings in you?
This is one of those images for Achal.
He was in love with his new gear. He happened to have it with him when
this little specimen happened by. Slowly he raise the camera and got off
an in focus shot before the bird left.
It IS well composed. The subject IS in focus. And I think that it is one
of those images that serves as a stepping stone to a photographer. One
that leads you to try that much harder to get the perfect shot because
this one comes so close.
It is an ugly little bird bastard, though.

> >Jim Davis - Fishing in the grass

There is something very strange about nature photography that
incorporates electronic strobe unless is is intrinsic to the purpose of
the shot. The world simply doesn't look like this.

> >D.L. Shipman - Cloud and Palm

Beautiful cloud. Posterized palm?
It looks like infrared to me. I liked looking at it because I was
reminded of one of my all time favorite films "I AM CUBA" Google it.
Rent it. Brilliant.

> >John Warner - Morning after the gale, Cornwall

Apparently there have been many gales here. The tiny town tucked out of
harms way. Although the gales of past may have humbled many a mighty
structure and sent their descendants scurrying for cover it is
interesting that a humble stand of golden dying grass could survive by
submission and stand tallest in the end.

> >                Katherine Boucher - waterreflect 2003

I have always hated water reflection photographs.
Until recently when I took some myself.
As I stood aiming and clicking away at some insignificant angles of
incidence, I realized that I could shoot a thousand rolls of film and no
two frames would ever be the same. Somehow like fingerprints of nature
living for a nanosecond of time never to exist again.
They still bore me to tears but I have a newfound respect of them.
Now I think it would be interesting for someone to write a computer
program that could undo the wrinkles so that we could see what the
reflection would look like if the water was smooth?

> >                Andrew Davidhazy - Wasp on the loose

This is one of those rare images. One that makes you go "I WANT TO TRY THAT!"
Except I want to do it with hockey players, baseballs or bowling pins.
Or with wasps but on 8x10. Damn, I would love to see an 8x10
transparency of this. Thank you so much for the effort involved. Very impressive.
I devised a system in school to photograph the cork coming out of a
champagne bottle. Not nearly as technical as this but fun at the time. I
am inspired.

thanks to all.