Thoughts on PF exhibits for 09-20-03

Forumeers,

Here are my thoughts concerning the PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit
updated on 20 SEP 03. Authors and now on display at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Scott Thurmond - "Martian Showerhead"

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/thurmond.html

I like this photo a lot. It is so Fraseresque: a strong, graphic-like image
with interesting lighting. I don't like the title. It detracts. A title
should enhance a picture. When I first looked at this, I thought it was a
living entity. Then I read the title and thought it was some kind of
watering device at the Aquatic Gardens. Then I had to reread the caption to
finally figure out it really was a living entity.

Having confirmed my initial impression, I was able to once again look at the
photograph and appreciate both the captured beauty of the rounded shape
framed by green-hued verticals in the background, and the inherent beauty of
the object itself with golden brown splashes of color protruding through
blue-green ovoids.

Magnificent!

Greg Fraser - "End of Summer"

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/fraser.html

While I generally really like Fraser's work, and to a degree I like this
offering as well, it just does not seem to live up to his usual standards.
Even in his caption, Fraser comments about the "nice curves." That's the
part I want to see, but the most significant curve, the yellow sloping
around in the top right of the image, is cut off. The sweep of the shadowed
yellow cannot pick up the feeling, as the change in color and smoothness is
too abrupt. I like my curves smooth and complete.

D.L. Shipman -

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/shipman.html

An aerial battle in black and white. A fantastic shot. There is so much to
like in this image: the outspread wings of the two birds complementing each
other; the "S" of the necks opposing one another, while yielding a symmetry
between them; and the legs. The legs of the top bird, which literally
connects the two birds on the flat plane is that part that adds perhaps the
most interest.

Framed by the leaves below and the empty space above, this is an outstanding
piece.

Kostas Papakotas - "the amazing light conspiracy"

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/papakotas.html

Papakotas is right. The play of light is wonderful in this picture. It makes
the singer burst forth from her background. This is good.

But I am still trying to figure out what "relaxed soundcheck uneasiness"
means

Gregory david Stempel - "Waiting on the Metro"

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/stempel.html

Normally I really like Stempel's work, but this one goes over my head, which
probably reflects more on my taste than Stempel's eye. I do like the
minimalist representation of the person. It works well in this kind of shot,
as opposed to Fraser's lopping off the edge of a graphic curve. I also like
angle at which the image was taken. The "V" at the bottom gives a balance to
the image. The white inlaid concrete surrounded by a sea of grey is
interesting, especially when what seems to be the new is riddled with lines
of age, while the old, the grey stone, is relatively unscathed from the
ravages of time.

So there are many individual elements that I find fascinating. But the
overall impression is just too dingy, too depressing, too grey.

Andrew Fildes - "Now THIS is a kingfisher..."

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/fildes.html

D*mn straight, Fildes. And a fine one it is, too.

Dan Mitchell - "Remembrance"

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mitchell.html

This is a true masterpiece!

When I first looked at this photograph, I was impressed. It is the same kind
of natural lighting of an object surrounded by a darkness that attracted
Papakotas to his submission above, and probably Spurlock to hers (discussed
below). But the contrast here is greater than the other two. The gray that
confounded my appreciation of Stempel's image works here to Mitchell's
advantage. The grey through the windows now set a somber mood whose
counterpoint is the table and flowers, both so brilliantly lit by the sun.
The chairs are mere kissed by the sunlight, giving them shape and interest.
The inner walls show detail reminiscent of an Old Masters' painting.

Then I read the title: "Remembrance."

I was blown away.

Suddenly so much more sprang to life in the image. The flowers, of course,
take on a new, and deeper, meaning. But the cross formed by the shadows of
the flowers and the dark side of the board the vase is sitting on, as well
as the cross formed by the window frames, take on new meaning, as does the
interplay between the two shadow crosses. True, this meaning is probably
lost on non-Christians, but for there is strong emotional content for those
who have a knowledge of the Christian faith.

Thanks, Mitchell. Ya done good.

Achal Pashine - "Clouds"

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/pashine.html

While I really want to like this image, it is just a bit too muddy on my
monitor. Enhancing the contrast would do much improve it, at least to my
eye.

Fred van Sand - "Newburyport Bridge"

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/vansand.html

This image does not do much for me. The vertical pole on the left just tends
to cut the left 20% of the picture out of the mind. There is no central
object. Is the subject the bridge or the boat in the middle of the river?
The bridge is the most massive, but has little interest. The boat is more
interesting, but is lost in the white building in the background. But it is
the overall fuzziness that bothers me the most.

Leslie Spurlock - "Boy at chorten"

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/spurlock.html

This is another image that I like a lot. The Tibetan boy's head is centered
between two lines: one formed by the windows, and sloping downward and the
other formed by the candles on the counter, sloping upward to meet in the
mind, the line formed by the windows. The head then makes a triangle with
the two lines. A truly remarkable job of creating interest in the entire
scene.

The lighting on the boy is good. Originally I thought this was natural
lighting, but the slightly blown out features could be from a flash (or it
just may be an artifact from compression for viewing on the Web). It doesn't
make much difference, as the image is still remarkable. A very good effort.

I had no idea what a "chorten" was, so I had to Google it to find out. The
photograph created enough interest that I wanted to know. I suppose this
could be a Nepalese shot, but "chorten" is supposed to be a term used in
Tibet. Perhaps Spurlock will amplify the details.

This was a very good week for photographs. Thanks to all who contributed,
and thanks to Andy and his staff who made it all possible.

Peace and pixels,

rand