Re: Model Release Question

fotofx@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< You do not need a release unless the images are used for something else
 other than news or editorial. If you plan to make a Iraq calendar than you
 might need them. But in reality how are they to know if you did and it was
 produced here. As many know I am always on the side of Law and Order as far
 as business is concerned but to me there is no issue unless you plan to use
 them in a commercial way.

 Anybody else?

This is correct. As long as you are using them for newspaper or editorial or
even for museums, you will not need a model release. You will, however need
excellent captions, so I suggest you try and get their name(s). If you are
planning on using them for stock or even in airline magazines and especially in
commercial advertising, you will need a release. Chris Rainier did some stuff for
United Airlines on Bhutan, I think, and did not have a release for the
Bhutanese people. Since Bhutan is a fairly small country, somehow it was found out
about this usage and United was sued. It is always wise to try and get one if
you can so you are not so limited with the photos. I shoot primarily in 3rd
world countries, and it is very difficult to get a release when I shoot children
because the parents are often not around. If you can't get it, you can't get
it. Your pictures will still be sellable.

Leslie Spurlock
Leslie Scott Photography and Tours
http://www.lesliescottphotography.com
http://www.lesliescottphotography.com/phototours.htm