Re: possibly longer than Emily's post! :)

Thank you Leslie

Angi

From: LScottPht@aol.com
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@listserver.isc.rit.edu>
Subject: Re: possibly longer than Emily's post! :)
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 09:18:25 -0400 (EDT)

shutterbug123@hotmail.com writes:

<< Thank You Luis!
While Emily's knowledge and advice are well taken, they are not very
practical in my case at least. Let me explain...the local newspaper has an
opening (which I learned about from my neighbor who had just left the job)
I have taken portraits of the editors daughter at my part time job (Sears
Portrait Studio)...I think this might be an interesting job and great
experience...So the next time I photograph said child, I ask the editor
about the position...she tells me I should come in a fill out an
application...after getting reassurance that they can work around my Sears
schedule (a job that I love and have done for the last 7 years,) I go in to
the newspaper office and fill out an application...I meet the other two
photographers (both full time) I am then told that they are on a hiring
freeze....I am told what it pays..which is next to nothing....and that the
job is mine if I want it as soon as the freeze lifts...(or sooner if the
other two very overworked photogs can get through to the board).....Now, if
I were to walk in there and demand all the the things that Emily says I am
entitled to....they would promptly show me the door....and hire someone who
will work for it. When my neighbor got the job, he was 6 months out of high
school and had no more experience than his high school photography class.
(singular word there). Do I want the job to get rich? No...Do I want the
job to put food on my table...No. Are there 10 other photographers in
Logansport Indiana that will suffer because I am accepting the amount of pay
(and "bennies" or lack there of)? No. There are THREE portrait studios in
Logansport...one is a local guy who had done quite well for himself...then
priced himself out of a large amount of clients when factories started
closing and he kept raising his prices...also a complaint was that people
were under the impression that he would be personally taking every
photograph..then he hired 5 photographers out of school and sent them to do
his high priced weddings and senior portraits and baby portraits etc...then
guess what happened? We (Sears Portrait Studio the second of the three
studios) started getting his customers..How do I know? They have told us
over and over again that they could not believe they had been paying his
prices when our photographers were at least as good if not better than the
ones he had working for him. So, either we are really good, or his
photographers are not..doesn't really matter at this point does it?
So..here I sit..can't Wait for that darn hiring freeze to be lifted...so
that I can do what I love every day and gain some knowledge and experience
along the way..and see my name in a credit line! (sure don't get that at
SPS) .might not look bad on a resume for the next step up whenever and
whatever that may be.
Sorry Emily...certainly would not want to lower the industry standards...but
don't want to miss an opportunity either

Angi >>

Well, I personally believe in the fact that you should do what you love to do
and are passionate about. The newsapaper industry has been paying low forever
and will probably continue to pay low because there are many people out there
that just simply love what they do and if they don't, then they should do
commercial/advertising work or portraits which do pay a lot. I think you should
definitely do the job and gain that valuable experience you will be learning
from it. There is no price on knowledge. It is invaluable. Small newspapers will
never pay much because they will never have the budget to, so why pass up
such a good opportunity to do what you enjoy.

Leslie Spurlock
<A HREF="http://lesliescottphotography.com/";>Leslie Scott Photography</A>
<A HREF="http://www.lesliescottphotography.com/phototours.htm";>Leslie Scott
Photography and Tours</A>