Inkjet Halftone Settings

I have a Canon FS-4000u scanner and an i850 2400x1200 dpi printer. The scanner has taught me that I need to pay far more attention to focusing and all my local color film labs are butchers. That scanner really picks up the scratches well.

When I check the halftone screen settings on the printer I see Canon's default lpi is 45. From what I understand the halftone screen resolution should be approximately one third of the resolution of the output device. So I'm wondering why Canon would set the default screen resolution so low? There is a screen for each of CMYK so do you add the four screen resolutions together to get your final resolution? Even so, that works out to 180 lpi which still falls far short of one third of 2400.  I cannot find anywhere that I can set or even find out the actual print resolution in dpi so it could very well be that the printer is only printing at say 135 dpi although the images it produces seem pretty good for 135 dpi.

I suspect I misunderstand this entire process so if someone can set me straight, I would appreciate it.

Greg Fraser