Re: Inquiry sent to List HQ re: Pixels and Dots

Hello, I spent 3 years working with presses like the one you are asking about. First DPI and PPI are the same thing, DPI is Dots per inch and PPI is Pixels per inch. They reffer to the same aspect of a photo. What you nee to know is this LPI or Lines per inch, and really YOU don't need to know that all.

If you give the printer/publisher the file the request 8" X 11" at 300 DPI they can make the necessary changes to it for press work.

For presses (such as those that print newspapers) that use what is called a "screen" (the matrix of dots that make up a newspaper photo) or "line screen" this is what they need to set up for. The paper I worked at used a 75 line screen or 75 LPI, photoshop's "auto" function under "image size" says the best DPI setting for 75 LPI is 150 DPI (on the "best" setting).

In the long run its a lot of stuff you don't need to know, but there isn't any reason why you shouldn't. But to make your life easier just give them the 8"x11" @ 300 DPI\PPI, that's all they need.

Good luck.