Re: photographing surfaces

kostas papakotas wrote:

well I will be putting photography in use for the first time, this time not shooying pics for "art's sake"

what i will be doing is photographing surfaces (walls, tree surfaces, rusted plates etc) to use as backgrounds for the music cd covers I am making these days...

so your help and ideas are requested...

what focal length should i use? a friend suggested a 200 macro, but that I can not do...
the question is should i try 50mm, 80mm, or more? and at what aperture?

also...i will be shooting slide film for the first time with the purpose of scanning it in what enlargement may the cover request, so what is your suggestion on brand and product, especially concerning exact color replication ?

also, what is going on with slife film bracketing? I have no knowledge of....

hmm... i cannot think of anything more there is to consider before trying it, so have you got any suggestions?

for once more thanx in advance, mates...kostas

I would shoot with a 50 and fill the frame with the surface. A 50 is considered a "normal" lens because it is nearest to the view of the human eye. However, if you are after special effects, experiment with different lenses and apertures and use what you like best for the cd cover.

As to aperture, I would shoot at the aperture that is the sharpest if that was the effect I was after. Probably somewhere around f/8.

Bob

--
                       //////
                      ( 0 0 )