Re: Ideal focal length for food photography

Hi Jorj,

The real issue for foodies is not so much the focal length (Ill address that
a little lower) but DOF. Distortion of the plated foods, the plates and such
are always a problem and the shorter focal lengths give better DOF but also
distort the shape & texture of the food. I do loads of food shots with 4x5
camera and some with 35 or MF and all formats have similar issues. With LF
you have the ability to swing and tilt which really is a handy thing to
have. However close ups w/ LF require quite a bit of set up and planning
prior to plating the food and creating the image.

If you can locate and rent a T/S lens for your 35mm it will help get the at
least some of the distortion out.

I use a 210mm lens in LF and 90mm T/S lens in 35mm (canon). I have also used
200 and 300mm 2.8 for food shots to get a unique look.

Zooms will usually look like crap.

Good luck.

Les