RE: Film Scanner - Getting good scans with a Minolta DiMage Scan DualIII Question

Hi all,

A quick question for some of the more experienced members of the list -
I recently got a Minolta DiMage Scan Dual III to go along with my Nikon
N80, Tamron 19-35,  28-80, and 75-300 lenses, and an old N65 body for a
spare (I'm saving up for my F100, eventually, lol)... My quandry is thus
-- It seems like a really nice scanner, and most of the reviews I've
seen of it have been great, as well as the reports from other people I
know who have used it, however I can't seem to get anything even
remotely bordering on halfway decent scans out of it.  Either the color
balance is way off, or the scans look too washed, or the contrast is
horrific, but with all of the film I've scanned so far, I haven't gotten
one decent looking scan.  My intent when I got it was to scan in my
entire assortment of negatives (easily 300+ rolls of color and another
200+ of B&W) and be able to get a good catalog of images online, as well
as hopefully be able to do most of my future work with the digital
negatives instead of the print ones, I'm a travel writer & photographer
by profession so tend to do a lot of shooting, and a lot of going back
looking for old stock type stuff, and piecing together images for
stories and covers and guidebooks occasionally years after the initial
story was written gets to be tedious when it entails digging through old
boxes of negatives.  Needless to say however, none of that will work if
I can't get good scans in.  Does anyone know of any good tutorials or
beginning/intro type articles on getting good film scans in, especially
with the DiMage Dual III? I'm not brand new to digital imaging and image
processing (I've used photoshop for a few years now at a slightly-above
basic level and have gotten into some fairly complicated retouching a
few times), but a couple of the advanced pieces I've seen have been way
beyond me.

Thanks in advance for the help, and feel free to reply off-list if you'd
prefer,

Darren S. Dale
Travel Writer & Photographer
mrspock@insnet.com