Six Billion

FYI

Shooters, journalists, friends:

I write to commission a story. A compelling, narrative, photo story
from anywhere in the world -- to be published in the online magazine
Six Billion.

If you haven't seen it yet, I'll tell you the site is unlike any
other: It's not a photo site, it's not a radio site, it's not a
writing site. Instead, it's all of these, a space where competing
forms of narrative journalism are joined in one conversation, where
amateur and professional storytellers alike come to perfect their
craft.

The name, Six Billion, comes from renowned filmmaker Albert Maysles.
When asked if he was frustrated with the glut of documentary projects
and the onslaught of reality everything, he said: "No. There are six
billion people in the world, and at any given moment, at least ten
thousand of them have a story to tell." With that, the septuagenarian
hoisted camera to shoulder and went looking for one.

Stories are what Six Billion is all about. As a nonprofit endeavor,
the project aims to exist independently of the marketplace -- to
support, if modestly, free agents like yourselves who are doing this
not for the money, but for the love of the story.

For Issue One, we asked contributors for an "obituary" -- whether for
a person, a village, or a way of life. The result was a collection of
eulogies told by text, comics, video, sound, interactive design, and
photography, from places as far as Afghanistan and as small as Rhode
Island. See it at http://sixbillion.org.

The organizing principle for Issue Two will be "veterans of foreign
wars." With your stories, tell us what that means.

The deadline is July 15th. Post images online and send me the url
(PLEASE don't send images to this email address). Our photo editors
will take a look and get back to you.

Show us what you've got. And keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Kelly McEvers

Six Billion co-founder
Kelly@sixbillion.org
http://sixbillion.org

Freelance journalist
http://audiojournal.com

*** If you know someone else who'd be interested in this email,
please pass it along.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g
www.americanphotojournalist.com
"The brave ones were shooting the enemy, the crazy ones were shooting film"