Re: Who needs a Spyder?

Well, after quite some reading, thinking, and testing/tinkering, I decided that for my purposes it was enough to use the by-eye calibration in Mac OsX with the CRT Studio Monitor I use. I use a Canon D60, edit in Photoshop Elements 2, print on an Epson 2100. My screen image is quite similar to my print when using good profiles for the Epson (gotten from George Lepp). I print on Archival Matte.

There has been quite a lot of discussions on this forum:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3

Quite a few participants there have critizised the Spyders; one complaint is that once calibrated, the monitors are no longer neutral when viewing black and white work, and that Colorvision (the manufacturer) says this is unavoidable, but "unimportant". For me, it was the thing that finally stopped me from ordering one, I consider it *extremely* important.... Now I have a printer that gives good B/W output, and a monitor that allows me to see what I get, and I´ll be damned if I pay money for something that risks upsetting that!

Per