Re: Cropping

At 12:17 PM -0400 6/21/03, Russell Baker wrote:
Hi Gang......

There must be an easy way to do this.....

I have a digital file......

I open it in PS 5.5

This is a Head Shot

I want to crop out some of the extra
area out of the photo but I want the
what I leave in the file to be an exact 8x10.

Now I can use the marquee tool to crop
and then go over to image size and see if
I cropped it to the right scale.

Isn't there a way that shows as I use the
marquee tool what is the size I am cropping to?

Not that I've ever found. It's hit and miss.

(yes I have the rulers on but it isn't an exact way to do it)

One trick I use when I have to crop off the top or left side is to rotate the image so the rule gives me an accurate count. Also once I've determined one crop, I use Image>Image Size to set that dimension. Say you crop the sides and then you want that to be your 8", use Image>Image Size to set that at 8". Then you know just how much too high your image is and how much you need to crop off.

Also.......once I crop with the marquee tool.
How in the world do I save the cropped image.

Cmd-S will save the final version of the image no matter what it was before. Cmd-S-Shift is SaveAs, which will save your current version as a separate file from the previously saved version, but you have to give it a unique name to save it as a separate file.

I keep trying to save it and I don't end up saving the cropped image.

Something fishy there. Can't imagine how that can be. You hit Return after cropping?

-- Emily L. Ferguson elf@cape.com 508-563-6822 New England landscapes, wooden boats and races, press photography Beetle cats on the web at: http://www.vsu.cape.com/~elf http://www.beetlecat.org/store.html#yrbook