Re: Is metamerism all hype?

Nice observations Rob; however, you're assuming that the technology that exists 15 years from now will still be able to read today's digital storage media and formats. Predicting the future is not an exact science, it's much easier to predict the past. Anyway, as you've also noted many variables go into determining longevity of both traditional and digitally-produced photographs (I think longevity is probably a better term, since archival refers primarily to dark storage stability). A "classic" example (now we're getting into what passes for history in the digital arena) is the "orange shift" debacle which occurred when the Epson 1270 light cyan dye inks were found to fade under atmospheric conditions on several of the Epson papers ( either from ozone-related damage, or damage due to some other oxidant being present). Neither Epson nor Henry Wilhelm could have predicted this occurrence, although Epson did take a lot of heat over it (probably because people had quite a bit of money tied up in the inks and paper, myself included). Henry has since modified his testing procedures to test for potential atmospheric damage, and Epson reformulated some of the papers (especially the premium glossy photo papers) to reduce (not eliminate) the problem, and added warnings and instructions for protecting printed images to their package inserts. As the area of digital reproduction matures (maybe in the next two years or so) we'll see enhanced longevity which may rival that of traditional prints, and maybe even extended color gamuts to rival ilfochrome. That is if some other unforeseen variable doesn't crop up.

Scott