Re: Gallery reviews

thank you, Tom, for your words.

?A nude with an obscured face. Not totally obscured, but not so's
you can
see into it and determine anything about the person.  Terribly even
light
and soft focus really removes the dimension from the body.
Presumably
that's what the photographer wanted.  But I remain interested in the
person, not the body.?

ironically, part of the interpretation is mentioned therein. could not soft
focus, washed out features, and a ?look away? say something about a
person? in my opinion, and clinical opinion, it is how a person behaves
rather than his/her eyes that give insight to the soul. ?body language? comes
to mind. if i failed to convey a mood of veiled, silent obscurity, then i have
indeed failed in the image, but it was clearly stated these were noticed.

i have done, and will continue to do ?Sears? portrait eye shots?:

{http://www.motionless-continuum.com/lou1.swf"; }http://www.motionless-continuum.com/lou1.swf

some subjects (models) require more than a film can capture. some
interpretations require more just the same.

regards;

Will

___________
Jim Davis wrote:
> It's sad really when a photograph of a person does not show eyes or
> face. I mean it's just a lump of flesh. This photo would work if the
> guy was looking right into the camera.

Not so.  Anybody can stare into a camera and give a little smile. Does
the eyes always tell the truth? Can you always trust a person that looks
you straight in the eyes? Are we not dealing here with some romantic,
but hopelessly wrong, conceptions? The eyes does not tell it all. What
you don't see in the eyes, you have to decode from the body; the pose,
the gesture, the movements. That's how dancers express their art, and
that is also an important part of ordinary person to person
communication.

I don't know where this assumption comes from, that to express some
human condition you must see the eyes. Just as much, and often even much
more, can be said with the body. In addition to this, I find the
looking-away interesting: what happens when we (or the model with whom
we may identify) looks away? what do we not see? And the gesture of the
body suddenly becomes important as the spell the eyes had on our seeing
is lifted.

As someone said about the thriller/horror movies: It's when you look
away that the horror grabs you! (Hitchcock or von Trier or both...)

Just my thoughts...

Thomas