gallery review 04/06/03

Hi all,

My thoughts on this weeks PF Gallery,
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

A first look at the thumbnails this week indicates mostly very good
pictures, a few dull ones and a few almost successful ones. I write the
comments as I open the larger versions, so let's see if my first
impression holds.

Robin G. Ramos - Heaven's Eye
ohh, this is (almost) nice. The sky and the sea is excellent, dramatic
and powerful. But the fill flash was a big mistake - it ruins the
picture: first because it adds a bad balance to the image, and second
because it looks like the headlights of a car (that you just jumped out
of to grab a shot...). The foreground rocks are not important so why
illuminate them, and spoil the dark, dramatic show of Mother Nature?

Rich Mason - Aspen, Colorado
Rushing through the night, senseless, meaningless signs and lights in a
dark and strange world. Very good image. Nice and simple, powerful
composition and use of only three colors. (a technical aside: did you
use a tungsten film for this?)

Christopher Strevens - Guilford Cathedral
A nice quiet image... well almost. The subdued pastel tones create a
wonderful mood, but the composition does not support that. Both the
flowers and the steps are cut off at either side (and worst; the rope is
not attached at one end! oh, horror 8-} ) I find it hard to make
pleasing images from chuch interiors. Yours is a nice try.

David Small - Street portrait
Man, what a hangover... or is he just sleeping... or concentrating on
some music he is listening to??? Well framed and taken, sparks interest
in the person. How almost sculptural is his hair, beard and lines on the
forehead.

Bob Talbot - Passer-by
Nice color composition, simple and powerful. But the tilt makes me
sea-sick and I can't see the justification. The mood and the situation
is of course well captured.

Harvey A. Duze - Dupont Circle Fountain
Same colors as previous image, and just as powerful. Except that I would
like to see a symmetrical composition be _perfectly_ symmetrical. And
maybe it lacks sharpness, but the image is to small to tell.

Louis C. Smith - Springtime in Victoria I
Almost surreal colors. A well framed photo although I'm through with it
rather quickly. Just a few flowers, and that's it... and it's not that I
don't like flowers, but there need to be more of them, or some
additional content to sustain interest.

D.L. Shipman - Happy herons, Venice Florida
he, he, nice effect with the two birds mingeling into one Janus-bird.
The forground is unfortunately obstructing a little bit. Nice saturated
colors and good framing. But again, not much interest after the first
visual punch.

Dan Mitchell - Military Man
OK image, although a bit ordinary. The background should have been much
more out of focus, and the tiny spot of purple in upper right corner
bothers me.

Rubin Diehl Filho - Ticiana #32
Crucified! Vulnerable, innocent, exposed. Brilliantly captured mood. I
think the background ought to be completely blurred. Maybe a bit more
overexposure to enhance the highlights on her body. Oh, the white
rectangle at upper left should not have been there! -- and don't mind
the wanna-be-censors on the list; this is a free world!

Bill Ellis - Traffic Jam on the way Home
Untraditional low angle shot, but otherwise utterly dull.

Sonny Labay - wtc site
Classic cityscape, good saturated colors. The lit and sparkeling windows
of the first row buildings and the darkness of the ones behind. You have
to know the story though... and maybe you should not have cut through
the building on the left.

That's all... And I don't think nudes are offensive! Consider goldfish
in blenders, dissected animals and humans, and tortured & burned
insects. That is called art these days...

Free us from ourselves!
Thomas