Gallery comments - 28/04/2003

Some comments on the current exhibition at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Pini Vollach - :
Nice abstraction, pure, clean form. I would have cut away the dark thing
in lower left corner by cropping maybe 5% from below. Or maybe you could
have shot from slightly lower to eliminate it and make the low white
wall touch the corner of the picture.

Robin G. Ramos - Alone:
They say the horizon must not go through the middle of the picture, but
never mind "them" - this works very well; contrasts the unease of the
vast expanse of sky and sea with the apparent calmness of the figure in
the boat. Very good, clean image.

Museki Abe - Yamabuki:
Nice. The flowers seem to progress or develop from above, and that
movement is repeated in the background. And I like the highlight on the
tip (lower part) of the branch. Perhaps one could play with (very
little) cropping of the lower part, but I think this works very well.

Jim Davis - Intensity:
Nice bird, but do not appeal much to me - sorry Jim! Is the head not
entirely sharp or is it just my monitor...

Jeff Spirer - True Grit:
Conveys the sense of chaotic city through the tilted lines, cut-off
persons, no horizon... but I'm done with it quite quickly. Not my style
(you knew that!)

Gregory david Stempel - Power and Sustenance:
Nobody ever liked my dusk-power-lines-and-empty-space pictures, and I
see why. But I still have a soft spot for that. Nice backdrop, although
the lone cloud gets in the way. It speaks of desolation, abandon, going
away... as I said, I have a soft spot.

Don Roberts - Gated Community (Raphael remnant):
Does not really work without the story, does it? The background is
distracting to say the least, you might have moved closer and a bit to
the right, setting it off against the sky.

Dan Mitchel - Self Portrait:
Funny, but you should look out of the picture, not on the camera ;-)

Greg Fraser - Conquest:
I don't get the title, but the picture works OK as abstraction in round
shapes and lines with some food for imagination. Seems a bit blurred on
the left - intentional?

Christopher Strevens, LRPS - Little Chef, Handcross South:
Very boring photo. I don't like the big empty parking lot and the
hard-to-see very dark house, which supposedly is the subject. Why the
sign is there (in the photo) I don't understand. Some play with red
colors in gray surroundings, but not enough to sustain interest.

Jay Bjerkan - Fitness :
Smashin through the page, or is it the explosive black holes? Well,
funny, but I keep looking for text to explain the meaning of the
picture.

Brian Roberts - :
Illustrative photo (but of what?).  I think this would need some text to
justify its presence. I don't like the intruding pillar on the left.

That's all - frankly!

cheers,
Thomas