Re: Hello

Les Baldwin wrote:

You did not mention where you live, but here in the Bay area of northern CA
www.horizon-electronics.com is factory rated and one of the best in the
country. Charlie is the owner tell him I sent you.

I'm in Houston, TX. Went to one repair shop where they told me Canon A-1 parts are so hard to come by that it'd be pretty much hopeless to get it fixed. I ended up getting an old A-1 body through Ebay to serve as a source of parts....

The problem is the spool with the small tabs used to align the film during loading. Not the one you slip the end of the film into, but the one before it - you place the alignment notches on the film onto it. A small piece of it broke off, right by the set screw (just to the right of the screw). As a result the film won't rewind. My husband and I tried to disassemble the old eBay body first, in an attempt to retrieve this spool. We have the repair manual, but it's still somewhat difficult to undo. This is where we're stuck. I don't know how much would a repair shop charge if I show up with both bodies, where there'd be the labor to take it out of the first body, plus the labor to install it in mine. Maybe I might as well get another one!

Anybody had to do this before with a Canon A-1? I'm sentimentally attached to that camera - I can't let go! (silly me). If worse come to worse I might go back to eBay and get another body, this one in working condition!

Marivonne