Russell-
I don't think you're really missing all that much.

For proofs you can probably get away with scanning at a lower resolution, and scanning a whole contact sheet's worth at a time. Another way to do it would be to make contact sheets and scan them, which might be simpler, though you would want to be careful to get pretty good contact prints, in order to get a good quality scan.

It's not hard to see how a fully digital workflow can save you money, after the equipment is paid off, of course, and at least postpone most of the time and hassle till the very end! Actually, digital is a hell of a lot easier, I wouldn't be doing any of the stuff I do without it. I understand it's not the same and I understand how people who've got the whole thing working with silver processes would be reluctant to change, but it sure is enabling technology.