SLR Question??

Hi!

I have recently purchased a used SLR camera.  I have previously used an
automatic 35 mm Nikon.  I have read the instructions, and I think I can
identify each part of the camera and the accessories.

Now for the stupid question.

If I were first going to try to take some basic shots -- a shot of my house,
trees, beach, etc. -- to get used to the camera ... after I put the film into
the camera ... which steps work best?  What thing is usually done first?
Second?  Third?

My camera is an older one -- from about 1980.

Thanks so much.

Betty, MA