Re:Re:manfrotto extension

luis <chilled_delirium@mailstation.com> wrote/replied to:

>  The Tilt-All line served National Geo photogs for decades, and is available today for $130 from B&H. Helmut Newton still uses one, as does our own Robert Earnest. I think it might be good enough for the PF rank & filers...I know there are better tripods, and Tilt-Alls are too heavy for a backpacker,

Exactly, too heavy and too long I might add.

>    Tripods  in the 70+ inch range max extension are not cheap or compact, and if you add light weight into the equation, expensive.
>
>   OTOH, the right gear makes all the difference, and a good tripod is a lifetime investment. Extending the center column on a lightweight tripod (and you could probably get one custom-made for less than
>$200 at a machine shop) is going to result in an inferior camera platform.

Inferior to no tripod? I think not.

>   One of the great eye-openers regarding tripods is to rubber band a laser pointer firmly to the lens barrel on a camera mounted on a tripod, project the laser on a wall 50-100 ft away, and SEE the vibrations that result. Extending the center column clearly results in less stability, specially in the 1/4-1/15th sec range. Your mileage may vary.

Oh sure, sure. But I do love travelling light and hiking.

> Why the gratuitous slur on the country that hosts this list and its citizens ? That is just rude.

Your assuming everyone lives in the States is an error well known to
bother those who don't live there. touche

If I took the money conversion and added in the freight, I'd be able
to buy a Tilt All from B&H for quite a bit more than what you can. And
if I go downtown to Akihabara, the world's photo equipment centre, I
could likely buy one for about US $200. And I could make a life time
investment of a nice carbon fiber tall tripod and somehow strap it on
my backpack, catch trees as I walk, and generally piss myself off, but
I'd be out about US $800.

You would not believe the prices here on photo stuff.

I just want a taller centre column on my 190 thanks.

Your reply was rude too, what did you expect?