manfrotto extension

You reminded me of something I've always wanted for my Manfrotto 190
tripod. I love this pod, but it's a bit low for me. Does anyone know
of an extender that would give me 3 or 4 inches in height on a tripod?
I have considered ballheads, but I don't really like them.

The 190 has a removeable head, interchangable in fact. Did they ever
make some sort of extender to bolt between the head and body? That
would be great if they did.
since i own a 190 model i do agree it needs just a bit more elevation.
guess we should have both bought the longer legged one.
anyway...i think there is a way but requires machinework job.

since we are talking about a screw extending from the center of the 190 body, and a receptor in the head, one could just easily make a rod with male/female threading.
but i suggest going one step further and including large metal flanges on each end. these may or may not be soldered to the rod, but sure as hell the rod should be formed with a step at each end.

something like that

& & is the screw that mates the head to the body
&
=+== ### ==+= === is the metal flange
=+== ### ==+=
##### # is the extension body
#####
##### + is one of the 3 screws that lock
##### head and body together hindering rotation
#####
##### # # symbolizes the tripod body screw recess
#####
=+== ### ==+=
=+== # # ==+=

obvioulsy taping for the + and the ## ## is required.

i really do not know how easy and cheap this construction can be made
at a pro shop, but getting help from a friend is the best option.
you get it done cheap, and most of all you'll have a welcoming ear and patience...

hell i might as well try one for myself...thanks god, there are handymen at my gun club!

one advice. throw away those flat screwdriver retaining screws ( + ) of the head, and replace them with hardened allen head found at your local hardstore!

that's all,enjoy the construction, kostas

so... no matter what, CHEER UP MY FRIENDS! Life is too precious to jump the other side of the fence...
kostas papakotas / clenched teeth photography
http://groups.msn.com/clenchedteethphotography/home.html
'COS SOMETIMES IT IS BETTER WITH CLENCHED TEETH!