Re: Palcewski's Gallery Review - 2/1/03

Ciao, Andrew:

You are arguing a cultural relativism which also has its merits in some circumstances (it's awfully democratic for instance) but can be unrewarding and even dangerous at times, especially in areas other than art.
Yes, I am thus arguing, largely because I feel comfortable with cultural relativism, as it might be narrowly applied to ART. Hugh M. Lewis says in "Relatvism and Relativity" that...

"There is nothing inimical between strict scientific practice and sound belief and 'softer, looser' relativistic leanings in life.

"Relativism merely offers us the sobriety and humility of small, partial truths in the face of a grand Unknown. It remains our only antidote to the infection of ideological loops, deceitful viruses and unfalsifiable cases of 'false consciousness.'"

* * *

And also, I would add, the "smoke & mirrors" of contemporary art criticism, which presumes to know the grand Unknown!

* * *

I photographed the second wedding of a friend last week - to someone also on their second attempt. That was a triumph of hope over reason. Well for their sake I hope it is.
AndrewF
Well, yes. But then: "Happiness, too, is inevitable."