Re: Cliche images

Dave Small writes --

>>>Most of these common everyday subjects were not cliches at the time. Westons  peppers were very original,at the time.
Dave Small<<<

     Laura Gilpin made some Pictorialist bowl-of-fruit autochromes  around 1912. Paul Strand did his well-known  "Orange and Bowls" in 1916. Karl Blossfeldt did his many plant/fruit/veggie close-up studies, _Art Forms in Nature_, published in 1928.  Florence Henri did modernist lemon/pear/tomato still lifes with mirrors in 1929, called "Abstractions", I think. Piet Zwart did his famous "Cabbage, 1930". Even Weston had done his Artichoke image  before the peppers, also in 1930. By that time, plant/leaf/fruit/veggie close-ups were quite trendy internationally, believe it or not.

   The idea was hardly original, not even for EW. It was the way he saw and photographed the peppers that made all the difference. His nudes are just as brilliant as the peppers, and the nude was an often-photographed subject in his day.

    By the way, one of the Peppers, #30, was Weston's best-selling image while he was alive. As per his records, twelve were sold.
Some for two dollars....

    Rest assured that I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for Weston and his work. I have traveled far and wide to see his prints, and crossed the country to visit Weston Beach and Point Lobos. I own many books with his photographs, and my closest friend gifted me _Edward Weston: The Last Years in Carmel_ for Christmas, two ago, after giving me a tourthrough the exhibit.

With the peppers, Weston saw a contemporary trend and advanced it as only he could have.

           Best,
     --- Luis