Re: John Palcewski's Gallery Review

Hello, John in Charlottesville: At the core of my review--and your well-reasoned and thoughtful post--is the notion of preference.

If you tell me your favorite color is red, I'll nod and say, well, mine is blue. An argument as to which of the two is superior isn't necessary, or legitimate.

But then, we like to argue. The person with great verbal or debating skills might well make an impassioned and compelling case for blue over red, but it's merely rhetoric. Smoke & mirrors, in other words.

An aesthetic absolute, with which we may evaluate works of art and put them into a heirarchy of value, does not exist. Art criticism therefore is nothing more than an expression of a personal preference-- which we may cheerfully take or leave.

Regards,

John

John Palcewski
Isola d' Ischia, Italia

Vittoria's Island, an imagenovel:
www.palcewski.com/VI

Photographically illustrated fiction:
www.palcewski.com/stories

John, after viewing Kostas's gallery photo, concludes
that in his:

>horridly biased opinion images of rock star guitar
>players are the most overworked visual cliches of our

>culture.  Having seen over the years every
conceivable
>approach--from tack sharpness to indisginguishable
>blur, from under-  to overexposed, etc.--one looks
for
>something original.  These guitar player images
>obviously appeal only to the extremely young, to whom

>everything appears original.

I don't know if I'm arguing with you, John.  But your
remarks got me thinking.

A cliche, yes.  Horribly overworked?  I'm not sure.
In any case, it's hard to avoid photographic cliches,
of musicians, of crowded street scenes in B&W, of
lonely street scenes in desaturated color, of
lighthouses along the shore, of rock formations in
Arches, of more rocks in Yosemite, of pretty young
women not wearing clothes, of cute kids, of sunsets
over ancient castles, of starving children with
swollen bellies, of neon signs in the rain, snazzy new
architecture, dilapidated old architecture, of bare
trees in the bleak midwinter....

I wouldn't want to ask anyone to avoid these cliches.
Or even to find a way to make the image original, at
least not first and foremost.  (Seems to me that
originality is overrated.)

First and foremost, I'd ask them to make the image
compelling.  Meaning that I would want the image to
touch me somehow--in my head or in my heart or both,
doesn't really matter.  And this, it seems to me, is a
matter of craft and of soul.

Compelling?  Could be the story the photo tells, the
implied narrative.  Or the story that it doesn't tell,
the mystery.  Could be information, as in, Golly,
that's what the interior of the Cotton Club looked
like in 1936.  Could be light, shadow, form, texture,
color or its absence.  Could be simply, Oh, that's
what my favorite guitar player looked like when he was
gigging at the Blind Lemon.  The image should be well
crafted, and it's gotta have soul, but it need not be
particularly original, any more than a blues guitarist
solo needs to be particularly original to move me.
Soul trumps originality.  (Duke Ellington put it
better:  It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that
swing.)

This may be related.  Last Saturday evening, I spend a
couple hours in a bookstore, looking through Winogrand
1964, a recent compilation of photos that he made
during a cross-country roadtrip in 1964.  Many of the
photos are astonishingly beautiful.  And his vision
was surely original.  But that's not what moved me.
What moved me was the way that what America looked
like to him interacted with the way his photographs
looked like to me, at the moment, and with my own
childhood memories of what America looked like to me,
in 1964, when I was a kid.  It was a wonderful
experience, based in part, I admit, on communing with
Winogrand's profound artistic vision.  But I've had
similar experiences looking at less artistically
ambitious documentary photography.

Last thought.  The audience for Kostas's photo is not
simply people who like photography.  It's likely to be
fans who enjoy photographs of the musicians and
musical genres that they like.  For instance, I can't
get enough of photographs of jazz, classical, blues,
and bluegrass musicians in rehearsal and performance.
Some's better than others--Decarava, Leonard,
Gottlieb, to mention our honored elders--but if it's
well-crafted and moves me in some way, I like it.
Originality be damned.

Sorry to go on for so long.  In the interests of full
disclosure, I should remind PFers that I take lots of
cliched photos of jazz, classical, blues, and
bluegrass musicians at house parties, in clubs, on
stage, and in rehearsal.

--John, in Charlottesville