Re: LENSES

Steve Ross <steveross.effigy@virgin.net> writes:

> Hi
>
> Could someone explain these certain numbers found
> around the front elements of a lens: 1:2.8 or 1:3.5 etc.
> I know the 2.8 and 3.5 is the lense speed? but whats
> the 1:?

Yes: "2.8" isn't a speed, it's a number, and writing the lens aperture
as (e.g.) "F2.8" confuses what is going on. The f-number means the lens
aperture expressed as a fraction of the focal length (f), so f/2.8 means
that the effective diameter of the lens aperture is the focal length
divided by 2.8. Since this is a ratio, it's equally possible to
represent it by a colon, and I believe this is the customary way to
write the maximum aperture of the lens itself, around the rim. So 1:2.8
means the ratio of aperture to focal length is 1:2.8.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at:
http://imaginatorium.org/shop/