Re: Honest Street Photos - Was Gallery review 12-28-02

I'm in the minority on this issue, as usual. I think that most good photographs are probably lies, and that the better a photo is the bigger chance that it misleads the viewer as to the nature of what was going on before the camera at the 'decisive moment'.

This whole issue of authenticity in photography strikes me as a not very productive form of athleticism. Speed and grace in dance, as an instance, may or may not make a visible contribution to the dance; speed and grace, and we should probably add luck, in a photograph can certainly contribute to its success, but almost never visibly. The Doisneau photograph under discussion is a case in point. Nobody realized it was posed for decades. How many other good or great photographs have similar antecedents? Ultimately, why should it matter?

I tend to think that the discontinuity between what we photograph and what it appears we have photographed is one of the most interesting issues in photography.

I'm also fascinated and somewhat bewildered by the degree to which people are upset when photographic lies are uncovered. Does this mean that people think that photographs accurately represent something beyond the surface of things, that deeper meanings are photographable?

--
Alan P. Hayes
Pittsfield, Massachusetts