Re: Apple shooting

Hi Greg,

The collection of photographs hopefully will give the faculty some incentive to
get a little more involved with web activities. Most do not have even a
rudimentary personal website to this date! This little project is my personal
"contribution" to get my colleagues to become a bit more "connected". We will
see what "develops"! (what is the equivalent in digital realm?)

> Do you know why an apple explodes out both the entry and the exit point when
> you shoot it? Seems to me it would only blow out the exit hole but the photos
> show otherwise.

Well, I think it takes a physicist to really explain it but I believe that the
stuff that goes out backwards is caused by the material, early on in the event,
not being able to go forwards (too much apple ahead) and the area or direction
of least resistance for stuff the projectile pushes out of the way is
backwards. Eventually the front rips open and then material is pushed and also
carried forwards by the bullet.

> By the way that string shot is fabulous, no, marvelous, no,
> stupendous! Is 'stupendous' really a word or a coined marketing phrase?

Actually it is a set of tightly stretched rubber bands. The top and bottom
parts of the bands don't yet "know" that the middle has been cut away. Doc
Edgerton did similar things with string and Loren Winters has a photo of a
single rubber band or sheet photographed in sequence by 8 different flashes
with different color filters on each for a stunning image.

Stupendous is a word. It is most often associated with my picture of a bullet
cutting a series of rubber bands!  :)

Andy