Gallery Impressions Dec 27, 2002

Roderick Chen - Why do so many people assume this is a monk? Is it that Roderick's last name is Chen? I see a person wearing a denim jacket, baggy jeans and a shirt that is hanging out. He walks past what appears to be a double pane window. Have they been weatherizing the temples and modernizing the uniforms of the monks? I really, really like this image and the way I can't really tell if this is another multiple exposure or not. There is a really strong sense of something being completed and the outcome is extremely vague with the figure giving nothing away. Wonderful.

Richard Cooper (Lines) - I used to check every detail in an image but now I try more to get a feeling from the image and disregard the technical details but when the title of the image is 'Lines' well the fact that the top of the bridge support is not parallel to the image frame is foremost in my mind. I have a hard time getting into the scene as well as I would have had it been untitled. This sounds like a flaw with the reviewer though and not so much the image.

John Edwin Mason (Smoke from Burn Outs, Eastside Raceway) - Beautiful image John. Amazing to me how people will stand right next to something like this. Must be the same gene that causes people to herd at the edge of rally tracks. Beautiful light and contrast. Magnifico!

Greg Fraser (Reality) - To me this is more about the relationship of the boardwalk and the tree than the kids lining up improperly (for the last time). I almost always strive for balance in my images and once in a while I prefer things to not fit in properly. Perhaps its one of those shots to hang on the wall of my shrine to images nobody else would understand.

Gregory david Stempel (The Storm) - Another simply marvelous shot! Phenomenal sky and I love the way the golden highway leads up to the bridge with its two red beacons aiming up to the lightning source. Extreme drama at its best and a fine piece of homage to God's handiwork.

David Small - Tension, tension, tension from competing diagonals in the wood and an acute triangular slash of light and holding it all together - a cross. However, nowadays we no longer have complete trust in God so we'll slap a padlock on the whole thing just to be sure.

Alan P. Hayes (Convenience Store) - Ahhhh......memories of the old Navy days return. The 4:00 a.m. 'forget it, we'll never find the car. Let's just get a burrito' run. Actually though, I prefer your images with less light in them. What is that at the bottom center?

Jim Davis (waiting in the rain) - I think other reviewers have suggested that the birdies are too small in this image. I find their diminutiveness peaceful. The omission of upper case letters in the title accentuates the feeling. I admire their patience and I am enjoying this image.

Bob Talbot (Warrior) - I like this shot. There is a sort of flairy haze as if the sun is super strong and glaring off the whites. Normally that would be annoying but here it seems to impart a somewhat mystical feeling. I also like the way the ship and fowl face opposite directions. Earlier I told Bob I didn't care for the clump of rocks bottom right but having looked at this more, I changed my mind. They, the bird and the ship form a diagonal that meets the line of the bow sprit which also meets the line of the dock. They all draw me towards the ship. This does not appear to be Bob's intention but that's the way it works for me.

Dan Mitchell - This looks like it almost, but not quite makes it for me. The shape of the tram and the curve of the tracks and the two rectangles of white at the right are all very interesting but I can't connect them all together in this image.

David Thompson (U.T.t.a.UT.B.T.w.N.C, 2002) - Forgive my acronym. This reminds me of that excellent kid's show 'Art Attack' (I think its Scottish although the accent sounds Australian to me). Shame about the fuzziness but the color of the water is excellent. I like the way the un-illuminated building separates the fountain from the tower and the taller section of fountain mimics the tower itself.

Hideki Tomeoka - Interesting color-wise. Blue, yellow, green and in the back even some muted red. Very primal. Compositionally though it doesn't work too well for me. Perhaps its the black tree trunk on the right. I think its throwing me off and weighing me down too much on that side. I would imagine a vibrant print of this with detail in the tree bark would look much better. When wouldn't a print look better than a 50k scan? But in this case I think it really needs the extra detail.

Greg Fraser